Developed by Terminist Arcade and published by Fulqrum Publishing, a new retro shooter makes its way to PC on Steam. Inspired by 90s classics, uncover the origins of an anomalous infection in HYPERVIOLENT, now available on Steam via alpha demo.
HYPERVIOLENT describes itself as a “brutal, fast-paced old-school FPS in the style of classic sprite-based 3D games from the 1990s.” Find yourself in the midst of an anomalous outbreak after responding to the distress signal from remote mining colony Commodus Asteroid 27-C. As you begin to unravel the secrets around the station, reveal the dark origins behind the infection in this violent retro shooter.
- Gorgeous 3D / Pixel Hybrid: Explore the rich environments of the I.E.C. Commodus station and paint them with viscera, rendered in a combination of classic low-poly 3D, and hand-crafted 1990s pixel art aesthetic.
- Brutal, fast-paced combat: Feel the adrenaline rush of an old-school shooter, the way FPS games were meant to be played! Dual-wield over 20 unique ranged and melee weapons to tear through everything in your way.
- Use the environment to your advantage: Utilize switches, computer terminals, keycards & other control mechanisms to navigate the labyrinthian station and manipulate your environment.
- RPG / FPS mechanics: Manage your inventory, upgrade weapons, interact with NPCs, & peruse through computer data logs to further your mission in this exciting, authentically nostalgic experience.
- Multiplayer: Battle up to 30 of your friends head-to-head in Deathmatch, Team Deathmatch, or survival. Take on the horrific challenges of the I.E.C Commodus with 4-person co-op!
Alpha Beta Gamer highlighted the gameplay in the demo in a YouTube video. They note it’s a “little more RPG-like than most retro FPS games” and has an interesting dual-wielding system.
When does the game release in full?
Be sure to pick up the HYPERVIOLENT demo as soon as possible for free, as the demo ends August 15. As for a release date, they hope to release a full version sometime in 2022, likely in Q4. Test out its gameplay yourself, fight through hordes of monsters, and get a taste of this unique retro FPS game while you can.